iWave Systems launch high-performance HMI platforms using FPGA architecture
The power-efficient RZ/G1C SoC integrates the 3D capable PowerVR SGX531 GPU and supports full high-definition video encoding and decoding, making them an ideal fit for human-machine interface (HMI) applications. Other target applications include Access Control, Industrial Control, Healthcare devices, Point of sale, IoT, Home & Office automation, and White goods & appliances.
In industrial settings, HMIs can be used to:
- Monitor machine inputs and outputs
- Quickly locate malfunctions and enable faster troubleshooting
- Track various problems and optimize the manufacturing process to increase productivity
- Provide a realistic view of plant operations
- Remotely control the facility from a central location
- Easily test devices and equipment with simulations
- Reduce operation costs and simplify maintenance
- Improves communications among various types of equipment
- And more
Key challenges of the existing HMI technology
Industrial HMI applications demands interface solutions that are extremely accurate and reliable. The algorithms that drive these applications may require continuous upgrades and design changes to meet the evolving market demands. An ASIC-based HMI solution cannot scale up to these escalating performance requirements as they cannot be re-programmed.
Some of the key limitations of ASIC processor-based HMI include:
- Inability to meet changing I/O and multimedia demands
- Failure to incorporate new and multiple value-added services
- High latency and response time due to increased processing time
- High power consumption and heat dissipation
- Limitations in peripheral interfaces
- No fail-safe feature in communication standards
- Inability to manage concurrent applications efficiently
- Multiple processors to perform various applications takes up space and increase the cost
- Complex physical design
How FPGA can overcome these limitations:
Adopting a reprogrammable FPGA architecture such as the Xilinx Zynq 7000 SoC can dramatically improve system performance and efficiency. The Xilinx Zynq 7000 SoC FPGA is a single device that can have different blocks to do different operations. This allows designers to utilize one piece of hardware flexibly, for multiple purposes. Since it can be reprogrammed, new features can constantly be added and fine-tuned to meet evolving design requirements.
iWave Systems is now offering advanced HMI platforms based on Xilinx Zynq-7000 System on Modules. The high-performing HMI platforms integrate Dual Cortex A9 CPU @ 866MHz, combines 85K FPGA logic cells, and up to 120 FPGA IOs.The HMI is equipped with on-board QSPI flash, eMMC, DDR3 RAM, Wi-Fi, BT, Gigabit Ethernet, MIPI Camera, HDMI, and a host of other interfaces for peripheral functions.
The Xilinx 7000 SoC based HMI solution offers a long list of benefits:
FPGA architecture for HMI
- Surpassing execution speed due to inherent parallelism
- Programmable Logic utilized for realizing specific repeated tasks related to Industrial Ethernet, camera interface, image, serial ports, digital signal processing, etc.
- FPGA responsible for display control and 3D graphics rendering
- Support an extensive range of standard peripherals, serial ports, and Industrial Ethernet standards
- Offer ample flexible I/O with the capability to build interfaces for any sort of non-standard or proprietary requirements
- HSR/PRP Protocol IP implementation in FPGA provides network redundancy, guaranteeing high availability and ensuring no frame loss in the presence of an error
- Reduced system BOM cost and form factor
- Enables Asymmetric Multiprocessing (AMP) through Dual Boot Implementation (Bare-Metal, Linux) on Programming System
- Custom BSP/SDK and API/test application
- Standard/ Non-standard wired & wireless connectivity protocol/stack development/porting
- Industrial Grade Linux
- The rapid development of GUI
- Software/Hardware/Enclosure customization support
- Industrial connectivity: RS 485, EtherCAT, RS232, USB, CANopen, Ethernet
- Proprietary camera interface support
- Support framework for embedded analytics and machine learning
iWave’s Xilinx Zynq 7000 SoC-based HMI platforms offer flexible interfaces and advanced HMI functions while reducing power consumption and cost. The versatile FPGA platform can support maximum reuse and the best time to market, enabling developers to build a highly reliable system that meets evolving industry demands.
For further information or enquiries please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Regional Partners.